In 3 weeks and 5 days I will be running my first ever marathon. Yes, a marathon....26.2 miles! Since my last post (almost a month ago...yes, I'm slacking), I've had some really long runs and some really painful post-run days. My longest run so far is just over 17 miles so I’m a little scared about the last 9.2 miles!
During the long runs and the even longer post-run days, I've asked myself why am I doing this to myself? Why am I banging up my body and putting it through so much pain? I've had a lot of time to think about this and to think about what motivates me to get up earlier on Saturday mornings than I do the rest of the week. Why am I busting my tail to raise money for the LLS? Am I crazy for thinking I can actually run 26.2 miles?
I don't know that I have a good answer for any of these questions other than I want to make a difference in someone's life....maybe my own. I want to know that all the beating my body has endured will make a difference...to someone.
I started out doing this because I wanted to make a difference in my life....I wanted to lose weight. What a superficial reason to get me started, right? I didn’t lose the weight, but I gained a new appreciation for setting a goal and working hard to reach it, realizing what really is important in life, and finding my self confidence. I guess you could say the biggest difference was one that could not be seen. It was an internal transformation. It was a change in my heart...and a change in the belief in me.
After 20+ weeks training with my new Team In Training friends, I have a new appreciation for the blessings in my life and a new perspective on what really is important. I’ve seen strength in this group of people that I’ve never seen before. It’s the type of strength you acquire after long nights in the emergency room, after hours upon hours of chemotherapy, or after seeing your loved one breathe their last breath. It’s the strength to keep on going…to keep on fighting. It’s this strength that keeps everyone going during the long grueling runs.
I’m fortunate enough to run with a remarkably strong man who motivates me to be stronger and keep running. When I think I can’t do it anymore and want to quit, Blake encourages me to keep running…to keep fighting. I’m grateful to have found such great friends and an awesome running partner. Without my TNT friends, I never would have made it this far. I’m not saying I’ve made it yet because there’s still 3 weeks and 5 days ahead of us and 26.2 miles to complete, but I’ve gone further than I could have imagined. I’ve done what my mind has told me (and continues to tell me) is impossible. I may not be the fastest, thinnest, or most graceful runner on the morning of October 18th in San Francisco, but I will finish the race and I will overcome my mind’s doubts. I will do what my mind says I cannot do. I will prove to myself that I am stronger than I once believed…and that my physical appearance is not as important as the appearance of my heart, thoughts or beliefs. I will because I can and I believe. I believe in me.
I believe in a cure. I am still fundraising for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and now, more than ever, I need your help to find a cure. I'm getting closer to my fundraising goal, but I'm still not there. If you would like to make a donation but haven't done so yet, you can still get your money sent in until mid-November. You can make a donation on-line by visiting my website: http://pages.teamintraining.org/rm/nikesf09/etafoya.
Thank you to everyone who has donated and for your words of encouragement. Your support is priceless and greatly appreciated!
Don't stop believing!
-E
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The starting line is on the horizon sister! We will be praying for your body, your mind, your fundraising, and the finish line. Be faithful girl, for He has plans to provide for you. When you are weak, call on Him to be your strength. When you doubt, He will provide you the truth.
ReplyDeleteRunning this marathon will push you further and harder than you have pushed yourself; the journey you have taken, the passion towards those who are suffering, and the inner strength you will find, they are a small but powerful token of love to those suffering from Lymphoma and Leukemia. We are so proud of you. What a great example for your god daughters to witness! We love you!