Well, I guess it's been a few weeks since my last update. I've been on the road, again, and still recovering from the sinus infection and twisted ankle. Since my last post, I've run on my ankle for my two longest runs so far...11.5 and 13.1 miles! Doing this has re-introduced my body to the wonderful world of ICE, ICE baby! And I'm not talking about Vanilla Ice! :0)
After the first long run (2 hours, I think), my ankle was very swollen so I decided to stick my foot in a bucket of ice. In theory, this was a good idea. In reality, this was FREEZING COLD!! It was so cold I got a brain freeze! The brain freeze was worth it because the swelling went down and my ankle felt better.
The bad part about all this is that I've realized that not only did my swollen ankle need ice, but my whole body was screaming and begging for it! I spent most of that Saturday with my feet elevated and ice on my ankles and knees! I don't think I've ever felt so old and decrepit in my life! I'm sure this would make for a very entertaining picture!
Last Saturday, I ran the Georgetown to Idaho Springs half marathon. I didn't complete it in the time I had hoped, but I had to remember this was my first half marathon and I was in it for the training. Besides, it's not like I was going to win the race! I think the winners were crossing the line when I was at the half way point!
I enjoyed most of the race, but there were parts of the course that I didn't care for....like the dirt road with the large loose rocks, and all the steep downhills. Overall, I was glad I participated because I ran the majority of the race by myself and I was able to work on the mental strengthening part of the race. There were times when my body told me to stop and give up, but my mind wouldn't let me. I did have to walk a few times near the end because my ankle was in pain, but I refused to give up. People with cancer can't just give up and walk away from the cancer. They have to tough it out and keep on battling. This is what motivated me to keep running.
After the race I was very excited to find Michelle, a sorority sister and fellow runner. It was nice to see a comforting, familiar face and share our experiences. She's running the Denver Marathon on October 18th...the same day as the Nike Women's Marathon. I'm bummed we won't be running our first marathons together in the same city. Michelle's speed and dedication to do well has inspired me to not just finish, but finish strong!
After the first long run (2 hours, I think), my ankle was very swollen so I decided to stick my foot in a bucket of ice. In theory, this was a good idea. In reality, this was FREEZING COLD!! It was so cold I got a brain freeze! The brain freeze was worth it because the swelling went down and my ankle felt better.
The bad part about all this is that I've realized that not only did my swollen ankle need ice, but my whole body was screaming and begging for it! I spent most of that Saturday with my feet elevated and ice on my ankles and knees! I don't think I've ever felt so old and decrepit in my life! I'm sure this would make for a very entertaining picture!
Last Saturday, I ran the Georgetown to Idaho Springs half marathon. I didn't complete it in the time I had hoped, but I had to remember this was my first half marathon and I was in it for the training. Besides, it's not like I was going to win the race! I think the winners were crossing the line when I was at the half way point!
I enjoyed most of the race, but there were parts of the course that I didn't care for....like the dirt road with the large loose rocks, and all the steep downhills. Overall, I was glad I participated because I ran the majority of the race by myself and I was able to work on the mental strengthening part of the race. There were times when my body told me to stop and give up, but my mind wouldn't let me. I did have to walk a few times near the end because my ankle was in pain, but I refused to give up. People with cancer can't just give up and walk away from the cancer. They have to tough it out and keep on battling. This is what motivated me to keep running.
After the race I was very excited to find Michelle, a sorority sister and fellow runner. It was nice to see a comforting, familiar face and share our experiences. She's running the Denver Marathon on October 18th...the same day as the Nike Women's Marathon. I'm bummed we won't be running our first marathons together in the same city. Michelle's speed and dedication to do well has inspired me to not just finish, but finish strong!

After the race we met as a team at BeauJo's and enjoyed some great pizza! This is where I was turned on to "ice baths". Jane and Sharon explained to me how great an "ice bath" can be and instructed me on the art of taking an "ice bath". On my way home I picked up an 8lb. bag of ice for my "ice bath" and prepared myself for another brain freeze! As expected, it was freezing cold, but well worth it! I have a sneaking suspicion I will be taking many, many more "ice baths" in my future! Perhaps I should get used to the brain freezes!
This weekend is a busy one. We have our long run (2:15 this week!) on Saturday morning followed by a bake sale, and then the Water 2 Wine - wine tasting and silent auction event in the evening. Details for the wine tasting are included below. Please come out and support our fundraising efforts!
Wishing you a sunshiny weekend....to melt all the ice! :o)
-E
***********************************************************************************
Water 2 Wine - Wine Tasting & Silent Auction Event
Saturday, August 15, 2009
6:00pm - 8:00pm
Location:
Water 2 Wine
8130 S. University Blvd
Centennial, CO
Proceeds to benefit the Leukemia Lymphoma Society.
$40/couple, $25/person and TNT Alum $15
Wine tasting, appetizers and the opportunity to bid on amazing silent auction items!
Plan a night out for a GREAT cause and do your part to find a cure for Blood Cancers!
No comments:
Post a Comment