We just completed week 10 of training and are now in the midst of week 11! I can't believe it's been that long! Our long run this past weekend was 1 1/2 hours....and very tough! We ran off Surrey Ridge just north of Castle Rock in an area that was very hilly!
Oh my goodness, I had no idea when I showed up on Saturday morning what was waiting ahead for me! The loop was about 2 1/2 miles with a steady, inclining hill that was nearly 3/4 of a mile! Man, oh man did my legs and glutes get a workout! I'm glad we occasionally run hills for our long runs, but this one was killer! My running friend, Blake, was the only reason I made it through the loop and "the hill" three times.
Blake motivated me to keep going and when it looked like I might give up, he encouraged me to remember why I'm running. As I was sucking air like a brand new Dyson, going up "the hill" the third and final time, all I could think about was how hard it must be for Mason, one of our Team Heroes, to go through chemo treatments during the summer when I'm sure all he wants is to be outside playing like all the other kids. The pain I felt in my legs and the burning in my lungs disappeared when I thought of all the patients, like Mason, who are enduring much more than me just to survive each day. My pain is temporary and can be soothed with a few Advil and a hot bath, but the pain and discomfort one must feel during chemo or other cancer treatments is unimaginable!
I'm going to do my best during the remaining weeks to be more aware of any complaining I might do and turn it into positive actions: I'm going to give praise for the wonderful life the Lord has blessed me with, pray for others who are suffering, and simply give thanks for the opportunity to live another day! I can't wait for our next long run this Saturday!
Wishing you many sunshiny days! :o)
-E
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment