Thursday, July 16, 2009

Why I Run...


I have met some great people on this team, but I've also had the chance to hear their stories and why they're all doing this. Every Saturday morning before we set out on our run, we have what is called a "Mission Moment". This is when a team member shares their story about their battle against cancer or their loved ones' battles. Almost everyone has a family member or a story about a loved one that drives them to run and raise money for LLS. I'm fortunate to say I don't have a story or experience to share.

During the long run this Saturday I ran with a guy from my team, and as were running he asked me why I'm running and raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. He wanted to know if I have a connection to LLS or a survivor of Leukemia or Lymphoma. My family and I have been blessed to not have experienced a life with blood cancer, or any cancer for that matter. As we ran, we talked about his reasons and my own, and I thought more and more about why I run.


I explained to him that when I signed up for TNT, I had no idea what to expect. Initially, I thought joining TNT was a good idea for me to join so I could train for the Nike Women's Marathon, and to occassionally run with other people. However, since joining, my reasons for being a member of TNT have taken on a completely new meaning for me. It's no longer just about the training or having people to run with at the crack of dawn on Saturday mornings. Running this marathon and being part of TNT has become so much bigger and so much more important than I ever could have imagined! It's so much more than running!

It's about the people who are living with Leukemia or Lymphoma and still manage to go on with their daily lives. It's about the mom who runs to find a cure for her 6 year old son so he doesn't have to spend another 4th of July weekend with pneumonia in the hospital, so he can stop the steroid and chemotherapy treatments, and so he can attend school on a regular basis just like the other kids his age.

It's about the incredible strength I see in the woman who has battled breast cancer AND now Lymphoma, but still she runs and raises money for others so they won't have to experience the same struggles.

It's about the man who runs in his mom's memory or the lady who runs in her husband's memory.

Being associated with these people has taught me so much about life and life's struggles, and being strong enough to surpass those struggles. I'm running and raising money because I believe in the cause! I believe in finding a cure for blood cancers!

-E

** The photo above is with Mason, one of our Team Heros! This picture was taken at breakfast after one of our first Saturday runs. **

No comments:

Post a Comment